About 27 killed and dozens injured in a Suicide bomb in Northern Nigeria- Mubi Town

Spread the love
  • 14
    Shares

At least 27 people have been confirmed dead in suicide bomb blasts in the north-east Nigerian town of Mubi.

Some reports suggest the death toll could be as high as 42, with dozens more injured.

The suicide blast happened in and around a mosque as Muslims were preparing for afternoon prayers.

No group has yet claimed that they were behind the bombings, but the Islamist militant group Boko Haram has launched previous attacks in the same town.

From the report reaching#4BN.COM, Boko Haram has waged a campaign of violence since 2009 to try to create an Islamic state in northern Part of Nigeria.

The violence has killed over 10,000 people and displaced millions.

Reuters new agency quotes Mubi General Hospital’s chief medical director Ezra Sakawa as saying 27 people were killed and 56 injured.

Other reports at the same hospital give higher casualty figures.

State police commissioner Abdullahi Yerima said the first blast took place at the mosque at about 13:00 (12:00 GMT) and a second bomber detonated a device nearby as worshippers fled.

Witness Abdullahi Labaran told #4BN.COM that the first bomber had mingled with worshippers and detonated his explosives shortly before prayers began.

He said people in the mosque then fled towards a market where the second bomber struck.

Mubi has suffered regular attacks by Boko Haram, when suspected militants detonated a suicide bomb inside a mosque in the same town.

The group is known to target mosques whose preachers disagree with its mission.

The latest attacks come as President Muhammadu Buhari visits Washington for talks with his US counterpart Donald Trump.

The Nigerian government is buying 12 fighter aircraft from the US, and President Trump has indicated that a further order for attack helicopters is in the pipeline.

“These new aircraft will improve Nigeria’s ability to target terrorists and protect civilians,” Mr Trump told a joint news conference on Monday.

Insecurity has become a politically charged subject in the run-up to a national election next year. President Muhammadu Buhari, who took office in 2015 with a promise to end Boko Haram’s push to create an Islamic state in the northeast, has said he wants to seek another term.

The bombings on Tuesday are the latest in a string of attacks in the northeast.

Mubi is around 200 kilometres (124 miles) away from Maiduguri where last week’s attack was the second in a month. At least 15 people were killed and 83 injured when militants descended on the city in early April.

The government has said since December 2015 that Boko Haram has been defeated. But the insurgents have carried out a number of high profile attacks in the last few months, including the kidnap of 111 schoolgirls from the town of Dapchi and a strike in the town of Rann that killed three aid workers.

Nigeria’s government in March said it was talks with Boko Haram, which split into two main factions in 2016, with the aim of securing a permanent ceasefire. It did not disclose details of the faction with which it had held discussions..

A map produced by the U.S. development agency in February and seen by Reuters shows Islamic State in West Africa, which split from Nigeria’s Boko Haram, controls a swathe of territory in the states of Borno and Yobe which are next to Adamawa.

  • 14
    Shares

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.